This page features one of my old cars, a 1991 Galant VR-4. I had this car for a couple years and had a good bit of fun building it. It was all stock except exhaust when I got it and I ended up doing quite a bit of work to it. I have lots of photos and a full mod list posted below. (2 videos at bottom of page)
Osceola Dragway Test and Tune – Osceola, Indiana – March 2007
DSM Shootout – Norwalk Raceway Park, Norwalk Ohio – August 2006
It was #1186 of 2000 imported in 1991, another 1000 were imported in 1992. That is all for the USDM market, thus it being a “Limited Edition” car according to the dash plaque. The cars primary purpose for me was drag racing. I only put about 2500 miles on it in the 2.5 years I owned it. That includes quite a few long drives to the track and one long one to the DSM Shootout in Norwalk, Ohio.
Best 1/4 Mile times
- 60ft – 1.69 (Best of 1.68)
- 1/8th – 8.27
- 1/8th Mph – 82.59 (Best of 88.80Mph)
- 1/4 E.T. – 12.88
- 1/4 Mph – 109.27 (Best of 110.87Mph)
Motor when I got the car – stock, broke, and dirty.
After all my work, looked much better.
#1186/2000 Dash Badge
Installing the ACT2900 Clutch
March 2007 – After installing the new (to me) Volk wheels.
1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 #1186/2000 Nile Black (Full Mod list)
- Dejon Intake pipe – Stripped and Re-Powder coated Red.
- 2G MAF with Cone Filter
- Cyclone Intake manifold (fully functional via ecu chip)
- Bell 24x8x3.5″ IC Core with custom endtanks and 2.5″ in and out
- Custom 2.5″ Upper Intercooler pipe
- Stock -> 2.5″ Lower intercooler pipe
- Crushed Stock BOV
- 2.5″ Downpipe from Certified Muffler
- Ported EVO 3 Exhaust Manifold
- 2g Heat Shield
- Dynomax 3″ In/Out UltraFlo Muffler in place of CatCon/Testpipe, no other exhaust as of now
- Forced Performance Stud/Nut Kit
- Small 16g Turbocharger with Ported 7cm Housing and 34mm Flapper
- Joe P Manual Boost Controller
- SS Oil Feed line for Turbo
- SS Clutch Line
- Rebuilt DSM Transmission with Evo shift forks
- Brass shifter bushings on Cable ends and Shifter base
- 1g DSM Shifter and Leather shift boot
- ACT 2900 Clutch with Street Disc
- Forced Performance Flywheel Bolt kit
- Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel 8lbs
- Penzoil/Royal Purple Combo In Transmission – 2nd Gear hates it but then again it hates everything I dump in there.
- Royal Purple MaxGear in Transfer Case and Rear Diff.
- Filled Voids in Driveshaft Bearings with Silicone
- Apexi AFC2
- NGK Wideband 02 sensor
- MMCD Datalogger software on Palm M100
- Keydiver Stage 3 Chip (Details below)
Fuel Cell in Trunk, stock tank was rotted out or I would have kept it.
- ND 510cc injectors, Cleaned and Tested by Cruzin Performance
- 6an line from fuel filter to fuel rail with -6an Adapter
- SX AFPR with -6 AN fittings
- 12 Gallon Summit Racing Fuel cell with Foam and Summit Mounts
- 255lph Walbro Inline External Pump – Rewired for Max voltage
- 6an Line from Cell to Pump
- 6an Line from Pump to Stock Feed line
- 6an line from stock return to cell
- 6an Cell Vent with Inline Filter
- 90 Oil Filter housing with ported relief valve
- Air/Air B&M 11x6x1.5″ Oil Cooler
- 8an lines to and from Oil cooler
- 6an Breather line with Mini Filter off valve cover.
Misc Engine Mods
- Red powder coated valve cover with black letters
- NGK BPR7ES Plugs with Magnacore wires
- Rewired Drivers side fan to indash switch
- Balance Shaft Elimination
- ISC and FIAV Removal, Custom aluminum blockoff plate
- Energy Suspension Side Motor Mounts
- Windo Welded Rear Motor Mount
- Custom made battery tray in old washer fluid tank location.
- Odyssey PC 625 Battery (13.2lbs)
- HKS 60mm Oil Pressure
- HKS 46mm Water Temp
- HKS 60mm P/H Fuel Pressure
- Greddy 60mm Peak Hold EGT
- APEX’i 60mm Boost
- Sard 60mm Vac only, for Cyclone monitoring.
Inside the GVR4 – 6 gauges and Apexi AFC II
Control Center – Switches for Fan, Fuel Pump, 3 Gauges, and NGK WideBand 02
- NGK Wideband 02 sensor Display
- 3 point harnesses
- Palm M100 for Datalogging
- Momo Seat belt pads on Drivers side Harness
- Glove Box Delete Panel
- Radio Delete Panel with FP switch, Fan switch etc.
- AC vents and Controls removed and blocked off with panels
- Base Model Headliner, so no Sunroof hole.
- Base Model Passenger Visor without Lighting.
- 89 Underdash panel with Pocket on drivers side
- 92 VR4 Grille
- Cut out center section of front bumper for FMIC airflow.
- No Fog lights
- VR4 License plate frame.
- Custom passenger side Hood vent~ Like an EVO 1-3.
- Carbon fiber JDM hood vents
- Sunroof, Gad Door, and Antenna holes are sealed shut and smoothed out. (shaved)
Suspension & Brakes
- Goodridge SS Brake Line kit
- KYB GR2 Shocks
- H&R Galant VR4 specific coil springs
- Whiteline Sway bar bushings
- Energy Suspension Poly bushings in the rear control arms and trailing arms
- Energy Suspension Front Control Arm bushings
- Moog Tie rod ends
- TRW Front lower Ball Joints
- RRE Front strut bar
Wheels and Tires
- Volk Racing 15×6.5″ Group AV wheels
- Kuhmo Hp4 195/60/15 Tires
- ABS system removed and converted to Non-ABS Brakes.
- Trunk completely gutted of everything, now home to the fuel cell.
- Front bumper support 95% removed for weight reduction and FMIC fitting.
- Rear bumper support removed
- Cruise Control system removed.
- Windshield washer tank and lines removed.
- Light Weight Battery
- Stereo System removed.
- 85% of Sound deadening removed.
- Full AC and Heat system removed.
- Sunroof Removed.
- No rear Seat belts
Keydiver Stage 3 chip from www.DSMchips.com with the following
- No Fuelcut
- 7500rpm Stock Redline
- 5500rpm No Lift to Shift
- Selectable Studderbox 4250-5750
- Resets to 5000 on Startup
- Octane Reset
- Boost gauge converted to Knock Gauge
- Enhanced Close Loop Maps
- Rescaled Mas to 2g
- Check Engine light on at 7000rpm as a shift light
- 510cc Injector Compensation
- 2X Hz for logging airflow to 3212Hz
- No Airflow Cap
- FED Spec ECU
- Rescaled Trims
- Cyclone Intake Manifold control @ 4100Rpms through EGR
- 11:1 A/F Cap
- Radiator Hoses
- Thermostat Gasket
- Thermostat Housing to Engine Gasket
- Throttle Body Gasket
- Throttle Body Elbow Gasket
- Throttle body Shaft seals
- Timing Belt
- Timing Belt Tensioner
- Oil Pump Seal
- Crank Seal
- BS seal
- CAS O ring
- Turbo Drain Gaskets
- Exhaust manifold Gasket
- Oil Pan Gasket
- Exhaust Manifold to Turbine Housing Gasket
- Intake Manifold Gasket
- Valve Cover gasket
- Spark Plug Gaskets
- 1/2 Moon Gasket
- Fuel Filter
- Oil Filter
- Transmission Fluid
- Radiator Fluid
- Transfer Case fluid
- Rear Differential fluid
- O2 Sensor
- Knock Sensor
- Front Case Gasket
- Oil Filter Housing Gasket
- Injector Seals and Orings
- Fuel Rail Insulators
- Clutch and Brake Fluid
- Fulcrom Ball
- Clutch Fork
- Battery Ground
- Transfer Case seal
- Water pump
- Water pump gasket
- Water pipe Oring
- Turbine housing to downpipe gasket
- Timing belt Idler pulley
- Timing belt tensioner pulley
- Crank Pulley
- Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield
- Tie Rods
- Ball joints
- Radiator Cap
- Clutch Slave Cylinder
- Clutch Master Cylinder
- Throw out bearing (Came with ACT kit)
- Front case and oil pump, used but it was newer with the non straight cut whine gears.
The only drag race video I have, a mid 13 second run against a WRX.
My Famous Galant VR-4 Transmission Install Video
The car was on Modified Mags website in a Photo Gallery from the 06 DSM Shootout.
Here is a pic of a 12.9 second slip I still had, this was on 105 octane.
Here is a slip running 13.5 @ 104mph – Small16g at 19psi on pump gas. The guy driving the LS1 sucked at driving I guess…